Monday, August 17, 2009

Summer in Tirana


It's been a lovely summer. Hot, the missionaries would say, but I'm mostly indoors with the air conditioning.
Marty and I walk a loop around town a few times a week in the morning, and sometimes around the artificial lake on Saturdays. The Qëndër (Center) is relatively quiet early in the morning.

We had dinner a few nights ago at the Rogner Hotel with the Shupe's and noticed this unusual sign (the one on top). You have to live in Tirana to appreciate this. The street lights are on the driver's right corner, and if you're first in line you cannot see when the light changes, so everyone behind just honks to tell you to begin moving. Or they honk to tell you where they are because it's usually not where they should be. (See my last blog about driving.)



We picked up a small watermelon last week for 60 cents. There's no such thing as seedless watermelon here yet. No seedless grapes, either. The fruit is tasty, but there much less variety than in the states.

We've been to one wedding celebration and one open house for a member family departing to live in the United States, the former joyful, the latter, very sad. This is a phenomenon we do not see in the U.S.--friends leaving to change their country of residence--for good!

We're going to Preston, England this Wednesday-Saturday for a Mission Presidents' Seminar, which I look forward to once a year. We'll be taking a tour of early church history sites, going to the temple in Preston, and getting instruction from our area presidency and Elder Perry.

The work is going well and the missionaries are working hard. They're wonderful men and women who cheerfully give a good chunk of their young lives to serve here in Albania. We admire them so much.

Marty is spending two days and one night at our two-night boy's camp. We'll miss girl's camp because we'll be in England. Those who know me well know how sad I am about that.

Our son Greg is getting married in the Salt Lake Temple to Judy Schvaneveldt on August 29 and I am coming to the United States for the wedding and reception. Yeay! It will be the first time I've met Judy in person. Our daughter Erin is having her new baby on September 2 or 3, so of course I have to stop by Lexington, KY on my way back to Tirana to see her family and the new baby! Great timing, Erin!



4 comments:

Grandma & Pop-pop said...

Take a sweater and a raincoat. It will be cool in England this time of year. Well, I can't actually say that. It will be cool in Scotland this time of year. HAVE A GREAT TRIP!

Ginger

anita said...

Oh, how I loved Mission tours, except that we never got to go neat places -- just up the street. Enjoy England! And Greg's wedding and the new baby.

annkelsch said...

So wonderful that you will be able to attend the wedding and see the baby. Utah has been so pleasant but the last two days have been hot! Hopefully you will have some wonderful weather for the wedding. Have a wonderful time in England.

Carli said...

I did not know there was such a place named Preston, England. I've only heard of Preston, Idaho. You will have to post some pictures.