Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Code Regulations Needed


Frying dozens of pork chops Monday evening and patting myself on the back for my early preparation for Zone Conference, the electric cooktop and oven stopped working. I didn't realize it at first, just eventually noticed that the chops were not sizzling like they should. I checked the breakers to see if I had tripped one, but they were fine. I hurried and gathered up my meat and cooking supplies and finished the frying and baking upstairs in the Newhouse' apt. and got the food in my freezer for heating up next week. Today is Wednesday and the electricians have been here for a few hours. They discovered a severely burned plug and melted outlet when they pulled out the oven. Apparently when the oven was installed years ago, the workman cut corners, as the oven should have been wired into the system, not just plugged in. I'm very grateful for concrete walls, as this burn-out and another we had a month ago in the laundry/bathroom could have easily started a fire in a wood-frame house. The electricians completely re-wired the oven, and put the washer and dryer on their own circuit, so I can now do my laundry and run the heaters in the apt. at the same time! On to baking the cinnamon rolls now. Marty's gone to Germany to a Mission President's Seminar. He'll be back Sunday. The MP wives weren't invited this time. OK with me--it's cold there! As he left a day early because of flight schedules, I told him to look around the shops in Friedricksdorf and see what he can bring back in his luggage that we can't get here! Do they have marshmallows in Germany?

1 comment:

Grandma & Pop-pop said...

You ARE so fortunate as to not have burned the place down. The mission home in Albania will be a much warmer, safer, more up-to-date place with your having lived there! I'm glad you can have heat and do laundry at the same time!

Yummy, I think I will go make some cinnamon rolls, too.


Love,

Ginger